Flash Fiction contests are a great way to refine your skill. The challenge is to write a complete story within a set number of words. These weekly writing prompts are the perfect exercise to becoming a better writer!
Many writers use these contests as a way to get the creative juices flowing, or to come up with new storylines for future projects. Others use them as exercises that help them become a better writer overall based on feedback from other participants as well as providing it.
- Here is an excellent article on why you should write flash fiction.
- 10 Flash Fiction Writing Tips
- 151 Websites to Help a Writer Out
How to Participate:
- Each Thursday a new theme and story requirements will be posted on this website.
- Navigate to that week’s post and paste your story in the comment field.
- You may revise and re-post your story twice. Send an email to LIFlashFiction(at)gmail(dot)com with your revised story and we will update your comment. Alternatively, you can repost and let us know to delete the previous comment.
- On the Wednesday after, comments are closed and voting begins at 9:00am PDT / 12:00pm EST / 10:30pm IST / 5:00pm WET/GMT/ 4:00am AEDT (Thursday) and ends the same time on Thursday / 4:00am AEDT (Friday), and winners will be announced later that day.
- (Webmasters note: occasionally we are not able to create/publish the voting page at the exact same time. If you publish your story BEFORE we post the voting link it can be included. Also, if you are close to finishing your story and need an extra hour or so to finish it, simply request a time extension. Most times we are able to accommodate you as long as it is the exception, not the habit.)
- A link will be provided to the page with a submission form that you can vote for your top five (5) stories. The votes will be tallied and the winning story will be posted on this website along with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc place details.
- Anyone can vote but writers MUST submit your top five (5) votes for your story to count.
- You must also submit votes for
- Story with your favorite character.
- Story with the best use of dialogue.
- Story with the best pacing.
- Votes are assigned points in relation to how you place them. Your 1st place choice will receive 5 points. Your 2nd place choice will receive 4 points. Your 3rd place choice will receive 3 points. Your 4th place choice will receive 2 points. Your 5th place choice will receive 1 point.
Whoever has the most points overall wins.
- Signing up for email notifications for this blog will ensure you are notified of the next theme, and who the winners are.
- To receive an extra email notification sign up for our “New Prompt Email Blast” here. You will need to confirm the newsletter subscription, so watch for that initial email.
- It should be noted a potential publisher may consider your comment submission as “previously published”. Please read this article for further consideration.
- It is the writer’s responsibility to read and understand the rules. The moderators hold no liability.